Federal Pacific Electric (FPE) and Zinsco Breaker Panels in Many Older Homes Are Considered a Fire Hazard

A recent email from Alpine Building Performance LLC addressed an issue which is well known to long-time real estate brokers like those of us at Golden Real Estate, and worth sharing with owners of older homes. If your home has a Federal Pacific Electric (FPE) or Zinsco breaker panel, you can expect it to be an expensive inspection issue raised by your buyer’s inspector. Here’s the full email message from Alpine’s owner, Andrew Sams:

What is the cost to replace one of those electrical panels? The blog post suggests a price range of $4,000-$7,000, but my clients have seen much lower prices from the electricians I have recommended. In a typical home, the replacements I have overseen for my clients were in the $2,000 to $3,000 range using my lone eagle electricians.